An overview of the bot landscape

Bots landscape. Bots landscape. (source: Lev Mass).

Bots are a growing segment of software that acts as an agent on a human’s behalf. These tasks range from ordering online, to making dinner reservations, to handling customer service requests, to helping employees be more productive in the workplace.

Historically, most bots have used simple rules-based approaches to present an output for a given input (such as presenting the weather). But today, with advances in server-side processing power and improvements in implementing artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML), bots are starting to provide real value to consumers. The tide has finally turned and bots are entering the mainstream consciousness, especially after the recent announcements at Facebook’s annual conference F8.

This is the year of the bot, with many companies looking to automate boring, repetitive, or manual tasks. Imagine not having to dial a 1-800 number but instead texting your wishes to your airline (or better yet the airline anticipating your needs and texting you). This kind of service can be powered by bots, and we’re sure to see more applications in the near future. Just about every venture firm and corporation is trying to wrap their heads around where they can leverage bots and how to plan a bot strategy.

Evolution

The idea behind bots dates back to Alan Turing’s early research on computing machinery and intelligence in the 1950s. Turing laid out the idea behind what is now known as the Turing test, whereby a human and a computer would interact entirely by written messages. Turing posited that if the human recipient couldn’t tell the human and the computer apart, then the computer should be labeled as intelligent.

The first wave of bots were based on rules programmed into the software and were used to automate simple, repetitive tasks. However, bots have advanced to the point where they are streamlining support cases, explaining frequently asked questions, scheduling appointments, and completing orders. Originally, these tasks required multiple inputs from a human to answer rule-based logic questions. But with advancements in AI and leveraging deep learning, bots are now able to perform more complex tasks and write their own commands on the fly using massive data sets to answer even more complex queries.

Transactional bots

The potential uses for bots are tremendous given the breadth of potential applications. Over the past few years, most bots just delivered information to the user in a question/answer format and were not truly conversational. A user interacted with the bot, and it pulled data from its own database and surfaced it to the user. An example of this kind of bot is the North Face bot, which helps customers find the right jacket based on inputs that are specific to their plans—in other words, location, climate, projected activities, and so forth.

However, the real value of bots is in their agency to act on your behalf. Bots with agency can help consumers save time by interacting with services on their behalf. A perfect example would be a Slackbot that files tickets for a software development team or completes a customer service request. Because there are so many possible uses, especially for businesses, expect to see a massive increase in these kinds of transactional bots that pass data back and forth between separate platforms.

A move toward the consumer

Currently, most of the focus on bots is on messaging apps. Users’ time spent in messaging apps has recently surpassed time spent in social networks. More than 2.5 billion people have at least one messaging app on their phones.

This new medium of interacting with intelligent computers has spawned the term “chatbot.” Slack and Facebook (and others) are working to create a whole new ecosystem based on this premise as a more efficient medium of communication and productivity.

The market for bot applications is huge and will parallel the pool of users already using chat as a channel to interact with friends and family. Why not use it to complete tasks in your daily life? When you have a channel that gives you access to more than a billion people, developers start to take notice.

The future of bots

Most business models for chatbots are still emerging, but as we look to Asia—where WeChat has hundreds of millions of users—we find applications that let you transact within WeChat. Even though it is still early for ecommerce in chat applications, we are seeing interesting use cases, such as selling children’s books and apparel. In these use cases the brand is making a personal appeal to their consumers in chat. In the modern economy, we are all presented with the paradox of choice; bots are a great application to help surface actionable insights or refine our options and take action.

Amazon is leveraging this power with Echo, to help people seamlessly interact with commerce and their world. In doing so, it also nicely helps people transact on Amazon. By removing the need to look at prices when you order by voice, Echo abstracts the desire for the product from the cost, even as—in some cases—the cost is slightly elevated to compensate for the ease of ordering.The more seamless integration of voice ordering also increases velocity of commerce done through the Echo. As with all services, there is no free lunch.

Imagine using the agency power of chatbots to save your most precious resource: time.

Because time is money, people will pay to automate many tedious aspects of their lives, and thus the potential for customer-facing businesses to provide new services and means of services is very promising. Saving the consumer time is just one of the compelling use cases of bots.

The future is not just one of building standalone bots or bots on platforms. The big question is: What will the inflection point be with bots? When the Apple App Store launched, it catapulted apps to the mainstream—now we can’t imagine a smartphone without apps. It remains to be be seen what the dominant distribution mechanism will be for bots. This is quite literally a billion dollar question.

The first step in building the future of bots is understanding the landscape today. The below is one way to visualize the developing landscape.

Diagram of Bot Space Figure 1. Diagram of Bot Space. Source: Lev Mass.
Article image: Bots landscape. (source: Lev Mass).
Lev Mass

Lev Mass

Lev Mass is a Venture Partner at XSeed Capital. Prior to joining XSeed, Lev ran operations and business development for the Cloud Group at Yahoo!. While at Yahoo!, Lev helped start what is now Hortonworks, a leading big data company.

December 25, 2016 at 6:34 AM

I was lost with no hope for my husband was cheating and had always got away with it because i did not know how or always too scared to pin anything on him. with the help a friend who recommended me to cyberhacks who help hack his phone,all his social applications, email, chat, sms and expose him for a cheater he is. I just want to say a big thank you to cyberhacksolutions@gmail.com.Incase you need help with hacking any phone or account or other jobs contact him via email/phone (CYBERHACKSOLUTIONS@GMAIL.COM) or +1 916 378 4978 Tell him i reffered you.He will help you

January 8, 2017 at 2:25 PM

April 23, 2017 at 9:29 AM

Cyberhackinglord is the real hacker out there, please be careful of imposters. they are somany hackers who claim to be what they are not. i have been ripped off twice by this so called hackers. please be careful. if you need an hacker mail (cyberhackinglord@gmail.com), they work effectively, i can testify to that. mail them today and you will get your work done or text +13047160075.

May 1, 2017 at 11:17 AM

May 8, 2017 at 9:02 AM

Hello, are you in need of hacking services? Then contact CYBERSPACEINTELLIGENCE@GMAIL.COM, he is the best hacker. He helped me and my friends with some issues we had. If you need to
*hack into email accounts,
*all social media accounts,
*school database to clear or change grades,
*Retrieval of lost file/documents
*DUIs
*company records and systems,
*bank accounts,
he is really the best. His services are affordable. Don't waste your time with fake hackers
+ Credit cards hacker
+ We can drop money into bank accounts.
+ credit score hack
+ blank credit card sale
+ Hack and use Credit Card to shop online
+ Monitor any phone and email address
+ Tap into anybody's call and monitor their
conversation
CONTACT: CYBERSPACEINTELLIGENCE@GMAIL.COM OR +19102393078

May 27, 2017 at 7:18 AM

I Basically think we all don't have to face all these deceit and lies from our spouse...in a case of mine wen i got sick and tired of all the lies and deceit i had to contact a friend of mine to get me the contact of one of the best hackers in the states ..then i met cyberhackpros@gmail.com..He saved me from the lies of my cheating husband by hacking his phone..Incase you need help with hacking any phone or account or other jobs contact him via email/phone CYBERHACKPROS@GMAIL.COM or +1 916 378 4978 Tell him i reffered you.He will help you

June 3, 2017 at 11:39 AM

Hello everyone! If you require the service of a professional hacker to help track your partner's cell phone remotely, contact deadlyhacker01@gmail.com, after being ripped off by various hackers, he helped me track my husband's phone without physical contact.
Tell him Stacey referred you, he'd help

June 26, 2017 at 3:47 AM

Should you ever require the services of a hacker, i implore you to try your very best to hire only professionals. hackintechnology@gmail.com will increase your chances of getting your job completed. i was able to hire the services of an elite, asides the fact that i was provided a permanent solution to the service he rendered me but he gave a very efficient customer experience. he carried me along with every process and didnt leave me in the dark. contact him via email/phone hackintechnology@gmail.com 13057712040

June 26, 2017 at 3:47 AM

Help me thank hacckintechnology after being scammed of $1500 he helped me find my cheating wife he helped hack her whatsapp gmail and kik and i got to know that she was cheating on me , in less than 24 hours he helped me out with everything hackintechnology is trust worthy and affordable contact hackintechnology@gmail.com IF U Need Any Help ?
*University grades changing
*Bank accounts hack
*Twitters hack
*email accounts hack
*Grade Changes hack
* load bank account any amounts
*Website crashed hack
*server crashed hack
*Retrieval of lost file/documents
*Erase criminal records hack
*Databases hack
*Sales of Dumps cards of all kinds
*Untraceable Ip
*Individual computers hack
*Websites hack
*Facebook hack
*Control devices remotely hack
*Burner Numbers hack
*Verified Paypal Accounts hack
*Any social media account hack
*Android & iPhone Hack
*Word Press Blogs hack
*Text message interception hack
*email interception hack
- See more at:HACKINTECHNOLOGY@GMAIL.com

July 10, 2017 at 7:08 PM

Confront your cheating spouse with evidence, i was able to spy on my cheating

ex phone without finding out.....it really helped me during my divorce ...you

can contact (HACKINTECHNOLOGY@GMAIL.COM) call and text (305) 771-2040 for

spying and hacking social networks, school servers, icloud and much more,

viber chats hack, Facebook messages and yahoo messenger, calls log and spy

call recording, monitoring SMS text messages remotely, cell phone GPS

location tracking, spy on Whats app Messages, his services are AFFORDABLE

.................................... ONLY GOD CAN THANK HIM FOR ME

July 15, 2017 at 1:20 AM

Hello everyone, i would have made the biggest mistake of my life marrying my former spouse but before the marriage
after i saw his link from someones else testimonial. He is a professional that specializes in exposing cheating spouse
and every other hacking and tracking related issues.He is truly a cyber genius , he helps catching cheating spouse by
hacking and tracking their communications like call, whatsapp, Facebook, text, emails, Skype and many more.
if you are having doubts in your affairs and relationship please i will advise you to contact him and know if
He or she is true to you.
contact: CYBERPROFESSIONALHACKER@GMAIL.COM

August 3, 2017 at 9:19 AM

Stop being scammed by fake hackers. Hire a Ethical Hacking group who are professional and real. You might be curious that what hacking group services can provide? .. If you hire a hacker, you always have worried of losing your money. We won't keep a cent if can't do our job. 100% refund if job is not completed. Hacking Services that you will find here at: hackethics008@gmail.com are custom to fit your hacking needs... A professional and experienced hacker providing hacking services for a variety of client needs. Specialize in many different Hacking Services some of my most popular hacking services are, Hack INTO ANY BANK WEBSITE Hack into any COMPANY WEBSITE HACK INTO ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCY WEBSITE HACK INTO SECURITY AGENCY WEBSITE AND ERASE CRIMINAL RECORDS Hack into CRAIGSLIST AND REMOVE FLAGGING HACK INTO ANY DATABASE SYSTEM HACK PAYPAL ACCOUNT HACK WORD-PRESS Blogs SERVER CRASHED hack HACK INTO ANY SCHOOL DATABASE AND CHANGE UNIVERSITY GRADES, no matter how secured HACK INTO CREDIT BUREAU DATABASE AND INCREASE YOUR CREDIT SCORE HACK ANY EMAIL OR SOCIAL NETWORK AND KNOW IF YOUR PARTNER IS CHEATING ON YOU HACK INTO YOUR PARTNER'S PHONE PICS, TEXT MESSAGE AND LISTEN TO CALLS TO KNOW IF HE IS CHEATING UNTRACEABLE INTERNET PROTOCOL HAVE YOU OR YOUR CHILD BEEN BULLIED ONLINE BEFORE AND WANT TO GET BACK AT THE PERSON, WE CAN HELP YOU TRACE THE ACTUAL LOCATION OF THE PERSON AND DO WHATEVER YOU REQUEST TO THE PERSONS COMPUTER IS ANYONE BLACKMAILING YOU ONLINE AND YOU WANT US TO GET INTO THEIR COMPUTER AND DESTROY DATA AND EVIDENCES AGAINST YOU? If you need a hacking service that is not listed, feel free to contact me at: hackethics008@gmail.com or text only - +1(630) 755-8868. Contact me today about any of my hacking services

August 22, 2017 at 5:51 PM

I dont really know much about hacking after so many tries i met Cyberhacking lord who later help me find out my husband has been cheating on me and stealing from my bank account, he had this scheme going for 6 months. He gave me access to his mail,social media account,phone(could see deleted messages) and even track his location, still going to sue to him. Having doubts in your relationship? contact him (cyberhackinglord@gmail.com)

August 26, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Infidelity in a relationship is something that happens from either party in a relationship at some point in time, when you start suspecting that your partner is cheating, you start losing trust in him or her. But if you don’t confirm whether he or she is cheating, you might be accusing your spouse wrongly. I started suspecting my partner not long ago but I had no concrete evidence, then I was recommended to this professional hacker, his name is John. He helped me to hack into my spouse’s WHATSAPP, FACEBOOK,Instagram ,etc

Contact him on: whitehacckerr@gmail.com

his services include hacking (hint: mobile phones, instagram, facebook, gmail, twitter, whatsapp, kik, bank account, iphones, meetme, snapchat, wechat, hike etc.), tracking, cloning ,upgrading result,preventing you from been hacked or tracked, he can also help you to spy on your spouse so that you'll know whether he or she is cheating on you.

August 26, 2017 at 2:13 PM

Need to hire a professional hacker? Have you been hacked? Need to recover your stolen password? Want to monitor your kids,wife/husband,girlfriend/boyfriend? Even something to do with Database ? Hundreds to a large number of individuals have their phones, social media account, email accounts, servers, and PCs hacked consistently. Contact me today on whitehacckerr@gmail.com and hire a professional hacker!

August 28, 2017 at 1:33 AM

I never believed in these blank ATM cards so i've been reluctant to purchase the blank ATM card online because i know for a fact there fake hackers" out there, but i was convinced that it really works when my friend at my place of work got the card & we confirmed it really works, without delay i gave it a go. Then i finally got help from mitchbourne(@)cyberservices.com who helped my friend, he's absolutely the best when it comes to GRADES CHANGE, FACEBOOK, GMAIL, and WHATSAPP HACK especially, he also works with Proofs. I'm glad for his help

September 14, 2017 at 3:38 PM

My life was falling apart, I felt being cheated and abused but i needed to make sure my instincts were true until i was referred to jeajamhacker@gmail.com who took care of the hack job. He hacked his Phone,facebook,instagram, Whats-App, twitter and email account. I got all I wanted before i quit the marriage.

September 14, 2017 at 10:34 PM

September 18, 2017 at 8:08 AM

Basically think we all don’t have to face all these deceit and lies from our spouse…
in a case of mine when i got sick and tired of all the lies and deceit i had to contact a friend of mine to get me the
Contact of one of the best hackers in the states.
just contact him on cyberprofessionalhacker@gmail.com he is 100% (+1) 973-547-9527

September 19, 2017 at 12:46 PM

Best hacker in town i have been scammed 2 times just because i wanted to know who my husband really is before i met this great hacker named jeajamhacker@gmail.com who was honest to me and hacked into my spouse phone without physical access to his phone this hacker hacked into my husband whats-app, Facebook, call logs, text messages, viber, emails, deleted text messages and many more this hacker is real, reliable, cheap and affordable after the hacker i found out that my husband has been a real drug dealer thanks to jeajamhacker@gmail.com for opening my eyes to know the kind of man i got married too

October 6, 2017 at 6:57 AM

If you need to hack into any database, delete records, improve credit score,website, email, mobile phone (call, text message, Whatsapp, bbm), social network (fbk, twitter, Instagram) change your grades, find your target password (friends, wife, husband, boss, girl, boy friends) to know if they are cheating or not. ( he saved my relationship Tell him Linda ) Very cheap and Fast
Contact Jerry
Email ; ( jerrydhacker2000@gmail.com )