George Hotz is giving away the code behind his self-driving car project

Famed iPhone and PlayStation cracker George Hotz is resurrecting the DIY autonomous car project he canceled in October. But this time, there’s a twist: instead of selling a physical product, Hotz’s Comma.ai is releasing the company’s self-driving software, as well as the plans for the necessary hardware, which Hotz calls Comma Neo. All of this code will be available for free — in fact, it is already on Github.

Hotz framed the self-driving software, called Open Pilot, as an “open source alternative to [Tesla’s] Autopilot” during a press event that was held in a San Francisco house that serves as Comma.ai’s headquarters. He claimed that the Open Pilot and Comma Neo combination “provides almost all the same functionality as Autopilot 7,” which is the second-most-recent version of Tesla’s self-driving software.

People who want to tinker with Comma Neo and Open Pilot will need much more than the Github code, though. The Neo side of the project requires a special OS (called NeOS), and the only Android phone that can run it is the OnePlus 3. Hotz says that this is because it’s the only phone that’s open enough (it’s bootloader unlockable) and that has the specs (particularly the Snapdragon 820 processor) and cameras capable of running Comma.ai’s software. They’ll also need to 3D-print the Comma Neo housing.

“We’re not shipping a product,” Hotz said. “We’re shipping alpha software really for research purposes only. We do not provide any guarantees.”

Earlier this year, Hotz announced ambitions to create and sell a $999 after-market kit called “Comma One” that could add semi-autonomous capabilities to Honda Civics and some Acura cars. Over the summer, Comma.ai demoed this tech to various outlets, including The Verge. Most were impressed by the idea, but were careful to point out apparent shortcomings, like how the system handled itself poorly in city driving situations.

Comma One faced increased scrutiny as Comma.ai got closer to releasing the product. In response, Hotz talked down some of the autonomous vehicle hype in a blog post, likening Comma One to the existing features like “lane keep assist” and saying that it “will not turn your car into an autonomous vehicle. It is an advanced driver assistance system.” Hotz also stated that Comma One “does not remove any of the driver's responsibilities from the task of driving.”

One week later, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration sent Comma.ai a letter regarding concern that Comma One “would put the safety of [Comma.ai’s] customers and other road users at risk.”

“We strongly encourage you to delay selling or deploying your product on the public roadways unless and until you can ensure it is safe,” Paul A. Hemmersbaugh, NHTSA’s chief counsel, wrote in the letter. Hemmersbaugh also took umbrage with Hotz’s claim about driver responsibility, and subtly referenced the trend of Tesla customers pushing their cars’ semi-autonomous features in unsafe ways as evidence. Hotz responded by canceling Comma One, tweeting that he’d “much rather spend my life building amazing tech than dealing with regulators and lawyers. It isn't worth it.”

During today’s press conference, Hotz said that Comma.ai decided to go open source in an effort to sidestep NHTSA as well as the California DMV, the latter of which he said showed up to his house on three separate occasions. “NHTSA only regulates physical products that are sold,” Hotz said. “They do not regulate open source software, which is a whole lot more like speech.” He went on to say that “if the US government doesn't like this [project], I’m sure there are plenty of countries that will.”

Hotz compared Open Pilot to Android, and said that it’s really aimed at “hobbyists and researchers and people who love” self-driving technology. “It’s for people who want to push the future forward,” he said. When asked how or if Comma.ai plans to make any money off of this project, Hotz responded: “How does anybody make money? Our goal is to basically own the network. We want to own the network of self driving cars that is out there.”

Developing...

December 25, 2016 at 6:31 AM

I was lost with no hope for my husband was cheating and had always got away with it because i did not know how or always too scared to pin anything on him. with the help a friend who recommended me to cyberhacks who help hack his phone,all his social applications, email, chat, sms and expose him for a cheater he is. I just want to say a big thank you to cyberhacksolutions@gmail.com.Incase you need help with hacking any phone or account or other jobs contact him via email/phone (CYBERHACKSOLUTIONS@GMAIL.COM) or +1 916 378 4978 Tell him i reffered you.He will help you

January 8, 2017 at 2:25 PM

February 6, 2017 at 5:00 AM

February 24, 2017 at 3:05 PM

Cyberhackinglord is the real hacker out there, please be careful of imposters. they are somany hackers who claim to be what they are not. i have been ripped off twice by this so called hackers. please be careful. if you need an hacker mail (cyberhackinglord@gmail.com), they work effectively, i can testify to that. mail them today and you will get your work done or text +13047160075.

April 8, 2017 at 5:44 AM

Contact a certified hacker for you bank transfer, wire transfers, bitcoin doubling, cc dumps, penetration testing, website hacks and extractions, e.t.c visit https://www.cyberspyne.wixsite.com/tornet for further enquiries
cyberspyne@gmail.com
(347) 363-0633

April 16, 2017 at 7:42 PM

awesome work from cyberappshacker@gmail.com, he helped me spy on my fiancee phone last week, now am sure he is cheating,
so i can make the right choice before our marriage. been cheated on really sucks,
you can contact him to solve you problem of infidelity..

April 27, 2017 at 5:15 PM

I've been scammed over $10,000 by wuhack247.club and wuhacker.ru and i said to myself, I will never used such service again, but after i bumped into this page and saw the recommendation by the Admin and also some people also testifying they are legit, I had to give them a trial on blind fate hoping whatever came out of this i'll just accept it. But to my greatest surprise, I ordered for $6000 ATM, after my payment is confirmed I got my ATM, I was so happy that i finally got the legit ATM vendors, Ever since then they blessed me with this card I am now one of their VIP customers. so happy by the help of this site. :) contact atm.h@hackermail.com or atmhacking01@gmail.com

May 1, 2017 at 11:16 AM

May 3, 2017 at 4:00 PM

Hello everyone, if you need to boost your credit score excellently within a short period, hack a cell phone remotely, computer or change your grades (at any level or institution), contact finessehackers@gmail.com He's efficient, and been really helpful with my credit turn, I can't thank him enough, say kimberly referred you he'll help

May 4, 2017 at 12:02 AM

Do you need hackers for hire? Do you need to keep an eye on your spouse by gaining access to their emails? As a parent do you want to know what your kids do on a daily basis on social networks ( This includes facebook, twitter , instagram, whatsapp, WeChat and others to make sure they're not getting into trouble? Whatever it is, Ranging from Bank Jobs, Flipping cash, Criminal records, DMV, Taxes, Name it,he will get the job done.He's a professional hacker with 20 Years+ experience. Contact him at dragonhhacker@gmail.com ... Send an email and Its done. Its that easy, Daura referred you

May 12, 2017 at 2:40 PM

Cyberappshacker is the real hacker out there, please be careful of imposters.
they are somany hackers who claim to be what they are not.
i have been ripped off twice by this so called hackers. please be careful
if you need an hacker mail (cyberappshacker@gmail.com), they work effectively,
i can testify to that. mail them today and you will get your work done

May 21, 2017 at 9:03 AM

Hello everyone, my name is Kate and I want to recommend a reliable hacker who helped hack my husband's cell phone remotely.

Which gave me full access to all his texts and, and now he has nothing to hide from me. If you require his service, contact ghosthacker2351@gmail.com, tell him Kate referred you he'll help.

May 24, 2017 at 12:07 AM

I have used cyberspylove@gmail.com quite a number of times and they have never disappointed me.They helped me monitor my Husband phone when I was gathering evidence during the divorce. I got virtually every information he has been hiding over the months easily on my own phone: the spy app diverted all his whatsapp, facebook, text messages, sent and received through the phone: I also got his phone calls and deleted messages. he could not believe his eyes when he saw the evidence because he had no idea he was hacked. they do all types of mobile hacks and computer hacks,you get unrestricted and unnoticeable access to your partner/spouse/anybody's social account, email,E.T.C Getting the job done is as simple as sending an email to cyberspylove@gmail.com

May 27, 2017 at 7:49 AM

I Basically think we all don't have to face all these deceit and lies from our spouse...in a case of mine wen i got sick and tired of all the lies and deceit i had to contact a friend of mine to get me the contact of one of the best hackers in the states ..then i met cyberhackpros@gmail.com..He saved me from the lies of my cheating husband by hacking his phone..Incase you need help with hacking any phone or account or other jobs contact him via email/phone CYBERHACKPROS@GMAIL.COM or +1 916 378 4978 Tell him i reffered you.He will help you

May 30, 2017 at 2:58 PM

help me thank hackintechnology after being scammed of $1500 he helped me find my cheating husband he helped hack his whatsapp gmail and kik and i got to know that he was cheating on me , in less than 24 hours he helped me out with everything HACKINTECHNOLOGY is trust worthy and affordable contact hackintechnology@gmail.com +1305 771 2040IF U Need Any Help ? *University grades changing *Bank accounts hack *Twitters hack *email accounts hack *Grade Changes hack * load bank account any amounts *Website crashed hack *server crashed hack *Retrieval of lost file/documents *Erase criminal records hack *Databases hack *Sales of Dumps cards of all kinds *Untraceable Ip *Individual computers hack *Websites hack *Facebook hack *Control devices remotely hack *Burner Numbers hack *Verified Paypal Accounts hack *Any social media account hack *Android & iPhone Hack *Word Press Blogs hack *Text message interception hack *email interception hack - See more at hackintechnology@gmail.com +13057712040

June 3, 2017 at 3:45 PM

Hire Hackers providing Ethical Hacking Service all over the world. Let us support you with the best Ethical Hackers ! mail us at sophlint@aol.com
flintysoph@gmail.com for hands-on approach and real time solutions. CPTE/CPEH certified.

June 5, 2017 at 3:11 AM

Excellent and professional investigative services.
I hired him (CYBERHACKPROS@GMAIL.COM) for a very
private and difficult matter of hacking my spouse
phone, and he far exceeded my expectations. He
helped me get the info(whatsapp, facebook, text
messages, call logs etc) I needed faster and
cheaper than I had imagined. The first time we
spoke, we had a very long phone consultation in
which he gave me all my options that he could
think of to resolve my case, and he even
recommended I try other options before hiring him,
which shows that he is honest. I decided to hire
him and I*** glad I did. He is a fantastic
investigator and a great person and if you have a
dishonest partner don’t hesitate to send him a
mail Contact:CYBERHACKPROS@GMAIL.COM or +1 916 378
4978

June 5, 2017 at 2:55 PM

Hello everyone! If you require the service of a professional hacker to help track your partner's cell phone remotely, contact deadlyhacker01@gmail.com, after being ripped off by various hackers, he helped me track my husband's phone without physical contact.
Tell him Stacey referred you, he'd help

June 8, 2017 at 11:38 AM

I have used Cyberhackanswers@gmail.com quite a number of times and they have never disappointed me. they do all types of mobile hacks and computer hacks; get unrestricted and unnoticeable access to your partner/spouse/anybody’s facebook account, email, whatsapp, text messages. they also make changes in any database/website such as your college/university grades. Getting the job done is as simple as sending an email to cyberhackanswers@gmail.com

June 10, 2017 at 8:31 AM

June 14, 2017 at 6:52 AM

Hello, my name is Dave Gray, I’m on my late forties. I just want to use this medium to say a very big thank you to Jonny for the great thing you did for me as my wife wanted to ruin my life and take all our life savings together. It was a hard way and a bad one to experience at this time in my life. I was able to get my own share of the money by using this great hacker my coworker introduced me to him to hack into her cell phone to enable him receive the transfer code after he hacked into our bank account via Online banking system. His name is Jonny Belter. (hackwithjonny@gmail.com) I know a lot of people are going true this in the world today. If you can see my message do not hesitate to contact him immediately and he also handles all hacking jobs you want. Facebook, Whatsapp, snapchat, viber, instagram DM, email hack, telephone conversation, Imo, voice notes, videos, pictures, criminal records, change of school grades, credit card hack and bank account hack. email him and get a quick response. (hackwithjonny@gmail.com)

June 15, 2017 at 6:23 AM

Should you ever require the services of a hacker, i implore you to try your

very best to hire only professionals. hackintechnology@gmail.com will

increase your chances of getting your job completed. i was able to hire the

services of an elite, asides the fact that i was provided a permanent

solution to the service he rendered me but he gave a very efficient customer

experience. he carried me along with every process and didnt leave me in the

dark. contact him via email/phone hackintechnology@gmail.com 13057712040

June 21, 2017 at 4:12 AM

June 25, 2017 at 3:42 AM

Help me thank hacckintechnology after being scammed of $1500 he helped me find my cheating wife he helped hack her whatsapp gmail and kik and i got to know that she was cheating on me , in less than 24 hours he helped me out with everything hackintechnology is trust worthy and affordable contact hackintechnology@gmail.com IF U Need Any Help ?
*University grades changing
*Android & iPhone Hack
*Word Press Blogs hack
*Text message interception hack
*email interception hack
- See more at:HACKINTECHNOLOGY@GMAIL.com

June 26, 2017 at 3:59 AM

Cyberprofessionalhacker is the real hacker out there, please be careful of imposters.
they are somany hackers who claim to be what they are not.
i have been ripped off twice by this so called hackers. please be careful
if you need an hacker mail (cyberprofessionalhacker@gmail.com), they work effectively,
i can testify to that. mail them today and you will get your work done

June 26, 2017 at 4:03 AM

they are somany hackers who claim to be what they are not.
i have been ripped off twice by this so called hackers. please be careful