The Internet Archive is building a Canadian copy to protect itself from Trump

The Internet Archive, a digital library nonprofit that preserves billions of webpages for the historical record, is building a backup archive in Canada after the election of Donald Trump. Today, it began collecting donations for the Internet Archive of Canada, intended to create a copy of the archive outside the United States.

“On November 9th in America, we woke up to a new administration promising radical change,” writes founder Brewster Kahle. “It was a firm reminder that institutions like ours, built for the long-term, need to design for change. For us, it means keeping our cultural materials safe, private and perpetually accessible. It means preparing for a web that may face greater restrictions. It means serving patrons in a world in which government surveillance is not going away; indeed it looks like it will increase.”

The Internet Archive provides some of the most comprehensive preservation of our digital ephemera, for both intellectual study and practical use — including journalistic fact checking. Kahle estimates it will cost “millions” of dollars to host a copy of the Internet Archive in Canada, but it would shield its data from some American legal action.

The future of privacy and surveillance under the Trump administration remains unpredictable, but the president-elect has shown support for greater law enforcement surveillance powers and legal censorship, including “closing that internet up in some ways” to fight terrorism. “Somebody will say, 'Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.' These are foolish people,” he said in a 2015 speech. (This morning, he also suggested that burning the American flag — a constitutionally protected action — should be punished by loss of citizenship.)

Kahle notes that moving the internet archive would both insulate it from efforts to take down specific content, and make it harder to request data on user activity — something that more traditional librarians fought when American surveillance powers expanded under George W. Bush. And whatever happens, a Canadian copy would create more redundancy for data that can be seemingly ubiquitous but deceptively fragile. “The history of libraries is one of loss,” writes Kahle. “The Library of Alexandria is best known for is disappearance.”

December 8, 2016 at 1:35 AM

Do you want to be sure if your spouse is being faithful to you or not?Contact digitizehacker037@gmail.com for any of your hacking problem & any hacking tools u need. We specialize in hacking mobile phones (WHATS APP/TEXT/CALLS/ETC) and change of grades its 100% safe...

December 25, 2016 at 6:32 AM

I Basically think we all don't have to face all these deceit and lies from our spouse...in a case of mine wen i got sick and tired of all the lies and deceit i had to contact a friend of mine to get me the contact of one of the best hackers in the states ..then i met cyberhacksolutions@gmail.com..He saved me from the lies of my cheating husband by hacking his phone..Incase you need help with hacking any phone or account or other jobs contact him via email/phone (CYBERHACKSOLUTIONS@GMAIL.COM) or +1 916 378 4978 Tell him i reffered you.He will help you

December 25, 2016 at 6:32 AM

January 12, 2017 at 2:55 PM

February 17, 2017 at 2:00 AM

Excellent and professional investigative services. I hired him (CYBERPHONEHACKER@GMAIL.COM) for a very private and difficult matter of hacking my spouse phone, and he far exceeded my expectations. He helped me get the info(whatsapp, facebook, text messages, call logs etc) I needed faster and cheaper than I had imagined. The first time we spoke, we had a very long phone consultation in which he gave me all my options that he could think of to resolve my case, and he even recommended I try other options before hiring him, which shows that he is honest. I decided to hire him and I am glad I did. He is a fantastic investigator and a great person and
if you have a dishonest partner don’t hesitate to send him a mail Contact: CYBERPHONEHACKER@GMAIL.COM or +1 916 302 2234

April 8, 2017 at 5:45 AM

Contact a certified hacker for you bank transfer, wire transfers, bitcoin doubling, cc dumps, penetration testing, website hacks and extractions, e.t.c visit https://www.cyberspyne.wixsite.com/tornet for further enquiries
cyberspyne@gmail.com
(347) 363-0633

May 1, 2017 at 11:16 AM

May 5, 2017 at 12:13 PM

Should you ever require the services of a hacker, i implore you to try your very best to hire only professionals. CYBERHACKTON@GMAIL.COM will increase your chances of getting your job completed. i was able to hire the services of an elite, asides the fact that i was provided a permanent solution to the service he rendered me but he gave a very efficient customer experience. he carried me along with every process and didn't leave me in the dark.
contact; CYBERHACKTON@GMAIL.COM

*University grades changing
*Twitters hack
*email accounts hack
*Websites hack
*Facebook hack
*Control devices remotely hack
*Burner Numbers hack
*Any social media account hack
*Android & iPhone Hack
*Text message interception hack

May 20, 2017 at 8:50 AM

Cyberappshacker is the real hacker out there, please be careful of imposters.
they are somany hackers who claim to be what they are not.
i have been ripped off twice by this so called hackers. please be careful
if you need an hacker mail (cyberappshacker@gmail.com), they work effectively,
i can testify to that. mail them today and you will get your work done

May 27, 2017 at 7:49 AM

I Basically think we all don't have to face all these deceit and lies from our spouse...in a case of mine wen i got sick and tired of all the lies and deceit i had to contact a friend of mine to get me the contact of one of the best hackers in the states ..then i met cyberhackpros@gmail.com..He saved me from the lies of my cheating husband by hacking his phone..Incase you need help with hacking any phone or account or other jobs contact him via email/phone CYBERHACKPROS@GMAIL.COM or +1 916 378 4978 Tell him i reffered you.He will help you

May 30, 2017 at 6:44 AM

I was really worried when i started suspecting my wife of cheating on me. I couldn't get access to her phones or laptop.
One day a friend advised me to hire a hacker. He introduced me to this American hacker by the name QUICKSOLUTION040@GMAIL.COM who helped me clone her cell phone and i received all her text messages,emails,facebook message on my cell phone.All thanks to Wenger. you should contact him for all kinds of hacking services. Email- QUICKSOLUTION040@GMAIL.COM

June 1, 2017 at 1:22 PM

Hello, do you think hackers aren't real, I understand because I've been there as well
contact jamiehacking99@gmail.com for a genuine hackers email,he made me see things differently.
Obviously he collects payment after work is completed. Or you can call or text my number
+1 571-441-2342 to get to him through me.

June 19, 2017 at 11:19 AM

Should you ever require the services of a hacker, i implore you to try your very best to hire only professionals. hackintechnology@gmail.com will increase your chances of getting your job completed. i was able to hire the services of an elite, asides the fact that i was provided a permanent solution to the service he rendered me but he gave a very efficient customer experience. he carried me along with every process and didnt leave me in the dark. contact him via email/phone hackintechnology@gmail.com 13057712040

June 21, 2017 at 4:12 AM

July 1, 2017 at 3:43 AM

cyberhackpros@gmail.com will increase your chances of getting your job completed. i was able to hire the services of an
customer experience. he carried me along with every process and didnt leave me in the dark.contact him via email/phone

July 3, 2017 at 8:27 AM

Confront your cheating spouse with evidence, i was able to spy on my cheating ex phone without finding out.....it really helped me during my divorce ...you can contact (CYBERHACKTON@GMAIL.COM) call and text (916) 302-2234 for spying and hacking social networks, school servers, icloud and much more, viber chats hack, Facebook messages and yahoo messenger, calls log and spy call recording, monitoring SMS text messages remotely, cell phone GPS location tracking, spy on Whats app Messages, his services are cheap.. and please tell him i referred you to him he is a man with a heart of GOLD.

July 28, 2017 at 2:32 AM

Hello everyone, my name is Kate and I want to recommend a reliable hacker who helped hack my husband's cell phone remotely.

Which gave me full access to all his texts and, and now he has nothing to hide from me. If you require his service, contact ghosthacker2351@gmail.com, tell him Kate referred you he'll help.

July 28, 2017 at 2:33 AM

August 10, 2017 at 10:43 PM

I cannot over emphasize the professionalism of PRIVATEJOSH3@GMAIL.COM
I have spent several hours monitoring my husband and his co-worker flirting literally and there has not been any technical malfunctions. I have been able to monitor all his communications with his girlfriend and I can see clearly that he has alot of them, he must be a devil, because I dont understand how he still comes home to tell me he loves me..
I have never been this dissapointed and sad in my life before. I really want to thank my stars I took courage to contact him and for all his tender kindness towards assisting me and giving me exactly what I requested for in the hack. You can also take a bold step contact him and findout about your cheating spouse: PRIVATEJOSH3@GMAIL.COM

August 15, 2017 at 1:16 AM

Are you suffering financially or do you need urgent cash to pay your bills? worry no more because, there is away you can earn money without stress.You can change your life in just 18hours. contact (MR Brown) for a blank [ATM SMART CARD]today and be among the lucky ones who are benefiting from this cards. This PROGRAMMED blank ATM SMART card is capable of hacking into any ATM machine,anywhere in the world. I got to know about this BLANK ATM CARD when I was searching for a loan lender online about a month ago..It has really changed my life for good and now I can take of my family. The least money I get in a day with this card is about $7000. Everyday i have enough money to take care of my family. Though is illegal, there is no risk of being caught , because it has been programmed in such a way that it is not traceable, and also it renders the CCTV useless when you are withdrawing money..For Details on how to get a card today, email the Hackers On : (Brownatmblankcard@gmail.com)Or Call +18327905722)

August 16, 2017 at 4:42 PM

CYBERPROFESSIONALHACKER as the touch of a magician on any cyber problem he delivers fast once ask to create an mspy
application which allow you to know the location of a particular target,
getting cyberprofessionalhacker@gmail.com for an Mspy application . Fast delivery.
Visit the email.

August 18, 2017 at 2:47 PM

Confront your cheating spouse with evidence, i was able to spy on my cheating ex phone without finding out.....it really helped me during my divorce ...you can contact cyberhackpros@gmail.com call and text +1 512 605 1256 for spying and hacking social networks, school servers, icloud and much more, viber chats hack, Facebook messages and yahoo messenger, calls log and spy call recording, monitoring SMS text messages remotely, cell phone GPS location tracking, spy on Whats app Messages, his services are AFFORDABLE

August 21, 2017 at 1:22 AM

Cyberprofessionalhacker is the real hacker out there, please be careful of imposters.
they are somany hackers who claim to be what they are not.
i have been ripped off twice by this so called hackers. please be careful
if you need an hacker mail (cyberprofessionalhacker@gmail.com), they work effectively,
i can testify to that. mail them today and you will get your work done

August 24, 2017 at 2:36 PM

24hours ago i saw a recommendation about cyberhackpros@gmail.com and i took the risk to hire him for the job i wanted done and to my surprise he delivered to me with no stress and he even gave me proof of his prowess before i issued payment, i am so happy that finally i got what i have been searching for a long time...

August 25, 2017 at 3:01 PM

Contact : Binaryhacker016@gmail.com

For all Private Investigation & Hacking Services such as;

-Finding out if your Spouse or Partner (husband, wife, boyfriend,
or girlfriend) is cheating

-Keeping Tabs on Employees or Doing Background Check On Your Online Lover

-Gaining Full Access To Any Mobile, Whatsapp, Email, Facebook, Snapchat,
And Any Other Social Media Accounts or Chat/Messenger

-Hacking of University Portal; Change of Grades; Get Examination Questions

-Fake passports and documents etc

We get the hack done with no delay and we show proof.

September 26, 2017 at 4:41 AM

Stop being scammed by fake hackers. Hire a Ethical Hacking group who are professional and real. You might be curious that what hacking group services can provide? .. If you hire a hacker, you always have worried of losing your money. We won't keep a cent if can't do our job. 100% refund if job is not completed. Hacking Services that you will find here at: hackethics008@gmail.com are custom to fit your hacking needs... A professional and experienced hacker providing hacking services for a variety of client needs. Specialize in many different Hacking Services some of my most popular hacking services are, Hack INTO ANY BANK WEBSITE Hack into any COMPANY WEBSITE HACK INTO ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCY WEBSITE HACK INTO SECURITY AGENCY WEBSITE AND ERASE CRIMINAL RECORDS Hack into CRAIGSLIST AND REMOVE FLAGGING HACK INTO ANY DATABASE SYSTEM HACK PAYPAL ACCOUNT HACK WORD-PRESS Blogs SERVER CRASHED hack HACK INTO ANY SCHOOL DATABASE AND CHANGE UNIVERSITY GRADES, no matter how secured HACK INTO CREDIT BUREAU DATABASE AND INCREASE YOUR CREDIT SCORE HACK ANY EMAIL OR SOCIAL NETWORK AND KNOW IF YOUR PARTNER IS CHEATING ON YOU HACK INTO YOUR PARTNER'S PHONE PICS, TEXT MESSAGE AND LISTEN TO CALLS TO KNOW IF HE IS CHEATING UNTRACEABLE INTERNET PROTOCOL HAVE YOU OR YOUR CHILD BEEN BULLIED ONLINE BEFORE AND WANT TO GET BACK AT THE PERSON, WE CAN HELP YOU TRACE THE ACTUAL LOCATION OF THE PERSON AND DO WHATEVER YOU REQUEST TO THE PERSONS COMPUTER IS ANYONE BLACKMAILING YOU ONLINE AND YOU WANT US TO GET INTO THEIR COMPUTER AND DESTROY DATA AND EVIDENCES AGAINST YOU? If you need a hacking service that is not listed, feel free to contact me at: hackethics008@gmail.com or text only - +1 (630) 755-8868. Contact me today about any of my hacking services

October 5, 2017 at 2:57 PM

No genuine hacker will ask you to make full payment before your work is done, don't fall for their lies, i have been scammed several times by all these fakes, so i met Cyberhackpros@gmail.com he actually solved my problem, i was in dire need of a hacker to monitor my wife's activities online, Pavel was able to reveal my infidel wife's activities, with one of the latest technologies, for that i am grateful to him, he offers same day services ranging from Facebook, WhatsApp, emails, Twitter, Kik, imo, cell phone hacks/clone, website hacks, changing DMV records with legal consent, background checks, locating individuals, and so much more, if you are in dire need of a hacker you should contact this man, he is smart with his services and takes full payment at the point of delivery, i had to write this about him, tell him stacey reviewed him when he starts asking questions. you can call them +1 512 605 1256 or send them an email cyberhackpros@gmail.com

Note; Some services mentioned above might not apply to some countries due to restrictions/regulations

October 20, 2017 at 12:49 AM

Tried a lot of hackers but i strongly recommend cyberapphack@gmail.com.These are ethical hackers that’ll solve all your problems like hack emails,Facebook, Twitter ,Instagram , change grades ,erase criminal records, credit and debit top up, insurance paper, access or recover lost files, background checks on individuals and organizations or monitor cheating spouses’ phone or social media activities, contact at CYBERAPPHACK@GMAIL.COM.