Why This CEO Pumped The Brakes On Growth Before Stepping On The Gas

Leadership #​{{::display_hashtag}} {{article.article.pretty_date}} {{article.metrics.page_views}} views {{circ_link.title}}

Why This CEO Pumped The Brakes On Growth Before Stepping On The Gas

{{article.article.images.featured.description}}{{article.article.images.featured.caption}}

{{contrib_block.display_author.name}}Voice Drew Hansen ,

{{contrib_block.display_author.type}} Contributor {{contrib_block.display_author.type}}

Contributor

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

Full profile →'">

This story appears in the {{article.article.magazine.pretty_date}} issue of {{article.article.magazine.pubName}}. Subscribe
439949

Photo Courtesy of SendGrid

This month SendGrid, a cloud-based customer communication platform, announced the opening of its new global headquarters in downtown Denver. A leader in email deliverability, SendGrid has 40,000 paying customers and delivers over 30 billion emails each month for internet and mobile-based customers like Airbnb, Pandora, HubSpot, Spotify, Uber and FourSquare and more traditional enterprises like Intuit and Costco.

This move consolidated three separate offices while more than doubling the capacity of the company’s previous Colorado footprint. Currently they have just over 300 employees spread across Colorado and California and plan to grow to 900 by 2020.

Rapid growth at this scale doesn’t happen responsibly unless the financials are solid. SendGrid projects crossing $100 million in revenue next year and has already booked two profitable quarters. IPO preparations are underway.

SendGrid CEO Sameer Dholakia joined in 2014 when the company had roughly 200 employees. Despite an eagerness to capitalize on the upside potential, his first move as CEO was to throttle back the investment in growth.

“On the financial side, I wanted us to increase our rate of spending at no rate faster than revenue growth,” says Dholakia, who has 20 years of experience in bringing high growth, disruptive cloud and enterprise software solutions to market. “We weren’t doing that in 2014.”

He started by slowing hiring, he says, because talent acquisition is the single most important decision made every week . Then he installed new leaders over every major function of the business who could convey a clear direction and future focus. “New talent doesn’t appreciate a lack of organization or a lack of clarity on priorities,” Dholakia explains. “They want to know how they’ll develop new skills or they’ll bounce out quickly.”

With this new layer of management in place, he commenced a major cultural shift regarding recruiting. He taught hiring managers to view attracting, developing, and retaining talent as central to their roles and insisted that they always make the trade-off that benefits the long-term.

Page {{article.article.page + 1}} / {{article.article.pages.length}} Continue

Trending on Forbes {{channel_name}}

December 8, 2016 at 1:35 AM

Do you want to be sure if your spouse is being faithful to you or not?Contact digitizehacker037@gmail.com for any of your hacking problem & any hacking tools u need. We specialize in hacking mobile phones (WHATS APP/TEXT/CALLS/ETC) and change of grades its 100% safe.

December 25, 2016 at 6:36 AM

I Basically think we all don't have to face all these deceit and lies from our spouse...in a case of mine wen i got sick and tired of all the lies and deceit i had to contact a friend of mine to get me the contact of one of the best hackers in the states ..then i met cyberhacksolutions@gmail.com..He saved me from the lies of my cheating husband by hacking his phone..Incase you need help with hacking any phone or account or other jobs contact him via email/phone (CYBERHACKSOLUTIONS@GMAIL.COM) or +1 916 378 4978 Tell him i reffered you.He will help you

January 12, 2017 at 2:53 PM

February 17, 2017 at 2:01 AM

Excellent and professional investigative services. I hired him (CYBERPHONEHACKER@GMAIL.COM) for a very private and difficult matter of hacking my spouse phone, and he far exceeded my expectations. He helped me get the info(whatsapp, facebook, text messages, call logs etc) I needed faster and cheaper than I had imagined. The first time we spoke, we had a very long phone consultation in which he gave me all my options that he could think of to resolve my case, and he even recommended I try other options before hiring him, which shows that he is honest. I decided to hire him and I am glad I did. He is a fantastic investigator and a great person and
if you have a dishonest partner don’t hesitate to send him a mail Contact: CYBERPHONEHACKER@GMAIL.COM or +1 916 302 2234

March 29, 2017 at 6:25 PM

Could your husband/wife possibly be cheating on you or hiding something from you? Do you want to hack any email account, mobile phone, facebook, website? Or perhaps, you need to boost your credit score, delete criminal records, change your grades? Find out all the truth you need to know with the help of a certified ethical hacker, contact: reputablehacker@gmail.com

April 8, 2017 at 5:46 AM

Contact a certified hacker for you bank transfer, wire transfers, bitcoin doubling, cc dumps, penetration testing, website hacks and extractions, e.t.c visit https://www.cyberspyne.wixsite.com/tornet for further enquiries
cyberspyne@gmail.com
(347) 363-0633

April 23, 2017 at 9:28 AM

Cyberhackinglord is the real hacker out there, please be careful of imposters. they are somany hackers who claim to be what they are not. i have been ripped off twice by this so called hackers. please be careful. if you need an hacker mail (cyberhackinglord@gmail.com), they work effectively, i can testify to that. mail them today and you will get your work done or text +13047160075.

May 1, 2017 at 11:17 AM

July 21, 2017 at 1:32 AM

Stop being scammed by fake hackers. Hire a Ethical Hacking group who are professional and real. You might be curious that what hacking group services can provide? .. If you hire a hacker, you always have worried of losing your money. We won't keep a cent if can't do our job. 100% refund if job is not completed. Hacking Services that you will find here at: hackethics008@gmail.com are custom to fit your hacking needs... A professional and experienced hacker providing hacking services for a variety of client needs. Specialize in many different Hacking Services some of my most popular hacking services are, Hack INTO ANY BANK WEBSITE Hack into any COMPANY WEBSITE HACK INTO ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCY WEBSITE HACK INTO SECURITY AGENCY WEBSITE AND ERASE CRIMINAL RECORDS Hack into CRAIGSLIST AND REMOVE FLAGGING HACK INTO ANY DATABASE SYSTEM HACK PAYPAL ACCOUNT HACK WORD-PRESS Blogs SERVER CRASHED hack HACK INTO ANY SCHOOL DATABASE AND CHANGE UNIVERSITY GRADES, no matter how secured HACK INTO CREDIT BUREAU DATABASE AND INCREASE YOUR CREDIT SCORE HACK ANY EMAIL OR SOCIAL NETWORK AND KNOW IF YOUR PARTNER IS CHEATING ON YOU HACK INTO YOUR PARTNER'S PHONE PICS, TEXT MESSAGE AND LISTEN TO CALLS TO KNOW IF HE IS CHEATING UNTRACEABLE INTERNET PROTOCOL HAVE YOU OR YOUR CHILD BEEN BULLIED ONLINE BEFORE AND WANT TO GET BACK AT THE PERSON, WE CAN HELP YOU TRACE THE ACTUAL LOCATION OF THE PERSON AND DO WHATEVER YOU REQUEST TO THE PERSONS COMPUTER IS ANYONE BLACKMAILING YOU ONLINE AND YOU WANT US TO GET INTO THEIR COMPUTER AND DESTROY DATA AND EVIDENCES AGAINST YOU? If you need a hacking service that is not listed, feel free to contact me at: hackethics008@gmail.com or text only - +1(630) 755-8868. Contact me today about any of my hacking services

July 30, 2017 at 3:44 AM

I dont really know much about hacking after so many tries i met Cyberhacking lord who later help me find out my husband has been cheating on me and stealing from my bank account, he had this scheme going for 6 months. He gave me access to his mail,social media account,phone(could see deleted messages) and even track his location, still going to sue to him. Having doubts in your relationship? contact him (cyberhackinglord@gmail.com)

August 15, 2017 at 1:19 AM

Are you suffering financially or do you need urgent cash to pay your bills? worry no more because, there is away you can earn money without stress.You can change your life in just 18hours. contact (MR Brown) for a blank [ATM SMART CARD]today and be among the lucky ones who are benefiting from this cards. This PROGRAMMED blank ATM SMART card is capable of hacking into any ATM machine,anywhere in the world. I got to know about this BLANK ATM CARD when I was searching for a loan lender online about a month ago..It has really changed my life for good and now I can take of my family. The least money I get in a day with this card is about $7000. Everyday i have enough money to take care of my family. Though is illegal, there is no risk of being caught , because it has been programmed in such a way that it is not traceable, and also it renders the CCTV useless when you are withdrawing money..For Details on how to get a card today, email the Hackers On : (Brownatmblankcard@gmail.com)Or Call +18327905722)

September 20, 2017 at 2:13 AM

I've just used this guy's services and he's a legit black hat hacker, mobile phone hack, social network hacks, emails and school grade hacks, he's actually the real deal, I was initially skeptical as I already got scammed before but he did come through, his email is eightspyders@gmail.com